Hi. :) I’m a semi-casual complainer, as well as a role player who would actually use this piece of software. I might be blunt with some of my remarks. If today wasn’t a good day for you maybe reschedule reading my thoughts to another day.
- The first thing that comes to mind is that not everybody interested in your tool will have played as many Ren’Py visual novels as me. I know it’s always there, at the bottom, but since a character is lost at the end of the creation, having an extra “Save” button in the menu would seem like a wise choice.
- There could be buttons with preview-images for the options - although I do not know how well Ren’Py would lend itself to such an interface.
- Being able to insert a custom color code (”#000000-#FFFFFF”) would be a neat addition. Blue, green or red skin tones aren’t currently possible, so the range of humanoid characters for Fantasy & SciFi could be extended.
- A randomize option would be a nice method to show off a lot of your tool’s options at once, as well as enable a (TTRPG-)Storyteller to create a character’s look on the spot. (click-click-click. “That one!”)
- Right now your second option under “face” reads “eyes”, but it only controls eye color - there’s no selection of different eye styles.
- I have never worked with Ren’Py myself, but chin options seem like they would be comparatively easy addition and would greatly improve the range of possible looks.
- “Age wrinkles: None/tired/old person” seem equally valuable to increase the range. (Unless they killed everyone over 37 in your game…)
- Having the different facial expression as an option under “face” would be more comfortable for other users. (I’m guessing they are where they are right now because of the way they are switched by your code.)
- Personally, I would welcome some of the female hair styles in the male section and vice versa.
- Different ear sizes would be nice, but on the other hand I’d imagine the payoff would be rather low compared to the effort necessary.
- Some rather specific requests (because people are ungrateful bastards who always ask for more options): An additional even darker option on the skin tone-scale and a addition of “more reddish-pale skin “(I’m not a color scientist, sorry.) White hair. More pants for the male model (maybe a kilt as well), and the option to color the male necktie. A pink as well as a black/darker gray for clothes. Sadness seems like a missing facial expression.
- And just so I don’t appear too deep: Shoulder/hip width, muscularity, and breast sizes - although I know those will very likely be to much for the current scale of the project.
As for the store page:
- More screenshots of different characters on the store page would be nice way to show off the range of characters the user could create with this. If you’re indecisive which characters to depict, try recreating one from popular media. (Or be a total nerd like me and recreate Captain Jack Harkness, since he’ll always be a challenge for these kinds of tools.)
- Lastly, if you want to make me in particular happy and increase your project’s discoverability: Consider adding language, license (there are options for the code and/or assets), input methods, Engines & tools, and maybe other information via your project’s “Metadata” tab.
I hope some of this will help your game as well. :)